New subject: Steck Small Grand

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:41:32 -0500

Thanks much, Wim. Walnut it is, then. Now ... do I oil-rub it, lacquer =
it, or poly-u it? Got a feeling it will be gorgeous if done well, a mess =
if not. Makes me scared to try anything. So I'm just stripping it at the =
moment.

I guess the only real drawback to the Brambach knuckles is not having a =
clear target to adjust the jack to.

Alan

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2002 9:54 PM
  Subject: Re: New subject: Steck Small Grand

  In a message dated 7/18/02 12:21:27 AM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mathstar@salemnet.com writes:=20

    All this discussion of bolstering hammer knuckles begs the question: =
Is it worth doing on Brambach/Francis Bacon style knuckles, or should I =
follow my original inclination which is to save up the necessary shekels =
to replace the shanks, knuckles and hammers (which are otherwise in =
pretty good shape. Hammers obviously not originals. Ivories obviously =
are and in good shape.=20

    Any experience or thoughts on this piano much appreciated. Market =
value? I paid $800.=20

  If the hammers and centers are in good condition, the pearl shaped =
knuckles last longer than the round ones.=20

    y-the-way, stripping the old finish has revealed a very, very dark =
and closely grained wood I've not seen in a piano. Could it be a dark =
walnut or really dark mahogany?=20

  If it brown, it's walnut. If it has a reddish tint to it, it's =
mahogany.=20

  Wim=20

    lan=20