CA gluing Grand Pinblocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:52:23 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Yeah, we are closer. My terminology may be less than ideal. I think the proper term to use >rather than shear force is shear stress. My terms are coming largely from my graduate >studies in structural geology (a few years back now!) - but forces are forces, and stresses >are stresses.

I dont think I have a problem separating shear force with
stress here. Thats cool. I think actually thats the
distinction I am making by insisting on clarifying the
difference in using the words "between" an "on" in this
context. (ie shear force between, and shear force on.)

>If it is not compression, and it is not tension, and you are talking about two parallel >planes of reletive motion (or force), then you have a shear stress.
>
> That is, of course, if I remember correctly!  ;-)

Shear stress is not just two parallel planes of relative
motion or force...  this is shear only when the stress
itself is parallel to those planes. Says much the same thing
as you do above I guess, but perhaps makes it easier to
avoid misunderstanding ?

In the case two plates coupled by a nail, the nail will be
under shear stress, and whatever shear stress is apparent on
the plates is only at the nail, exactly at and parallel to
the cross section of the nail.  Yes ?

In the case of two plates coupled by being pressed together,
fricton takes the place of the nail above and the result is
shear stress exerted ON the two surfaces. The amount of
shear stress here is dependent on the net angle of the sum
of the forces involved... no ?? (We use vectors for this
kinda thing eh ? )

In the case of two blocks of wood pushed together.... while
this has two parallel planes of force (not motion) the force
is applied perpendicular to the planes involved... ie
compression (tensil ?) stress on the two surfaces of the
blocks.

> Terry Farrell

Cheers !

RicB

"The greatest impediment to real communication may in
reality be the use of language"
anon.