CA gluing Grand Pinblocks....My take on it/ Richard Brekne

Thu, 01 Aug 2002 10:52:21 +0200

> Farrell wrote:
>

> > I guess this is where I am getting hung up here... I can
> > easily accept that there is a shear force exerted on the
> > bridge pin getting "pinched" as it were between the
> > string
> > pushing at it from the one side, and the bridge from the
> > otherside.
>
> I believe the above described a compression force of the
> string toward the pin, and a second compression force
> between the pin and the wood on the other side of the pin.
> If the pin had been glued in, then there would also be a
> tension force between the pin and the bridge wood directly
> under the string.

Yes... or said another way... The bridge and string together
exert a shearing force on the pin (ie the pin is under some
degree of shear stress). Yet the string and pin share a
mutual compressive stress as do the pin and bridge hole. And
tho the relationship between the bridge and pin is much like
the nailed plate example above... the relationship between
the string and pin is really just plain compressive force me
thinks.

All in all,,, this adds up to the only real shear stress
involved being exerted on the cross section of the bridge
pin exactly on the plane of the opposite forces created by
the string pushing the pin against the bridge holding the
pin.

>If the pin had been glued in, then there would also be a tension force between the pin and >the bridge wood directly under the string.

There would be anyways.. just not exerted on the glue but on
the two (parallel, lengthwise) surfaces of the pin and
bridge pin hole. Agreed ?

Grin.... I still am not sure whether or not we are on track
with each other here or all mucked up by word usage. Great
fun eh ?

RicB