How would you handle..

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 10:43:02 EDT

tito@philbondi.com writes:

> a recently widowed of almost 70 years of marriage gentleman, who admits he's
> losing his hearing, and has now called me back for a 2nd return to """fix"""
> the top end of his 'ended it usefulness many years ago' Gulbransen Console
> Piano?
>
> I am a pretty tolerant person when it comes to showing sympathy in this kind
> of situation..however, my patience is wearing thin, and my lips are about to
> spew something that I might soon regret.
>
> Help me prevent that, please.
>
> -Phil Bondi (Fl.)

When you go back, ask him to help you tune the top end. Ask him to tell you
when he thinks it is in tune, whether you like it or not. That way, if he has
a complaint, it will be his own doing. Also try to explain that when one
looses one's hearing, it is the upper partials that are lost first, which
give the impression that the upper notes are out of tune.

Good luck

Wim