Musical Sound waves

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:03:28 -0400

Terry, a friend of mine attended a college course where the instructor
challanged the class to determine the type of instrument being played just
by listening to a recorded tone (A 440) of each instrument with the attack
and decay portion of the tone removed. No one in the class could distinguish
any of the instruments. I am not sure he is correct but I wonder if what he
said is perhaps a clue as to one reason we can recognize different
instruments.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW

Dave,
With all due respect, was this a class for music majors or was it for a
music/art curricular course for non majors? I could understand non-majors
having trouble deciphering the differences but skilled music majors who live
and breathe this stuff...I'd had to wager that the test would have entirely
different results.
Quite frankly their are tremendous tonal differences between the flute,
clarinet, oboe, sax, trumpet...you name it.  Even the minute differences
between all the reed instruments (clarinet, sax, and oboe) are quite unique
in their tonal waves due to their size, bore, size, reed configuration and
most importantly, scaling. Otherwise an orchestra would not sound like an
orchestra but rather a resemblance of a piano (if you will) only with
respective instruments being played.
Now if there was a more fascinating debate, find out how you could take the
same exact instrument and give it to 10 different players of all different
skill levels get 10 entirely different tonal qualities.
It would be like one piano could be made to sound like a Betsy Ross spinet,
and the next player could literally transform it into a Steinway D.
Tom Servinsky, RPT