ref S&S marketing techniques

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:25:41 -0700

I get tired of people bitching and moaning about Steinway.  It's a
fantastic piano.  I have huge ears, trained ears, that i trust
implicitly.  Steinways, pound for pound, if set up/restored properly, are
my favorites-----except for certain rare Mason & Hamlins.

We all know how horrible Steinway actions, back actions, and in some
cases the whole damn thing, were in the US from roughly 1960 to 1983.
Just terrible.  And, the company were idiots about rectifying their
mistakes; they had a beautiful template and example in the Hamburg piano,
which they resolutely failed to take advantage of......unbelievable
stupidity.  Now the new US Steinways are much better, although  there are
still some geometry and set-up issues to be resolved at the factory vis a
vis the damn actions......  :--)

God bless 'em for their aggressive marketing campaign for the last 140
years; anything to put the piano in the hearts and minds of the
people......

Daivd Andersen
Malibu, CA