birdcage....long

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 04 Aug 2002 06:34:18 -0400

Ed,

What an colorful life you must have!  :-)  Obviously that comes with
some trials we don't have here in the overpopulated east, but then I
guess we have our own set of problems, traffic for one.  99.98% of my
travel is on paved roads and highways, with only an occasional farm lane
unpaved, and even they are usually short.

Comment on first diatribe:  I am not a pro on overdamper actions, having
only ever worked on one.  Did the dampers work correctly *before* the
tuning?  If they did, and if you are sure the action is in the same
location as it was before you started, then I think the strings'
position may have moved slightly by adding the tension.  But of course I
don't know; it's a shot in the dark.

Comment on second diatribe:  As technicians we expect pianos to work,
but I understand a very small group of consumers don't care at all if it
works; they just like the way it looks.  If you were the dealer, what
value would you place on a poorly-playing instrument that is beautiful?

In my mind a lot depends on what the dealer did or did not say. Maybe
you have the whole story, maybe not.  Maybe the dealer was unethical,
maybe not.  Maybe the piano was sitting there and the dealer said, "Oh,
I can't recommend that one.  Nothing's been done to it in decades, the
action is obsolete, and it's got a damper problem as well, and we have
no intention of putting any time into it.  The only reason we didn't
immediately throw it out is because its such a pretty thing."  But the
guy notices that it plays, sort of, likes the case, and plunks down his
money anyway.

Diatribe 3:  If you have many such experiences, write them down and keep
them.  IMO there's room for another book such as the already printed
"Notes of a Piano Tuner" by Campbell.  I had fun reading it, although
not everyone did (it's been discussed here).

Regards, Clyde