New Pins or Old?

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 18:52:11 +0200

John Ross wrote:

> Hi List,
> I guess I should have learned, by now. Don't include a question, with
> an answer to a previous question.
>
> Anyway, I was wondering, in restringing, I have always gone up in size
> and used new pins. In some cases the old pins were fairly tight.
>
> What do you do?

I dont think I have ever used an used set of pins in the
same piano they came out of. Generally I will treat the
inside of the holes in some fashion or another before
installing new pins. I used to use a reamer, but these days
I use an appropriately dimensioned steel brush in drill to
just rough up the inside of the holes, then I use a really
thin harpicks solvent as a pin driving fluid, tho I am
considering trying CA for this. I almost always go up one
size pin.

I have several sets of used pins tho that are in very good
shape. I dont hesitate to use these on less critical jobs if
the customer approves.

RicB