stringing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 22:16:57 -0500

>My old technique was to slip the end of the wire from the can into an
>empty pin hole but Ron Nossmans technique of inserting the wire into the
>next agraffe hole and winding two pins at once (eliminating changing
>tools) is my new technique.  Thanks Ron!
>
>David Koelzer

You're quite welcome, sir. Aside from the obvious difference in how often
you have to swap tools and drop them on newly finished surfaces in the
stringing process, the only other concern you might want to consider is the
length of string pulled through an agraffe hole. Pre-cutting to length will
result in more cuts and a little extra time and wire waste, where threading
wire in ahead of yourself and driving two pins at once like I do means
pulling a yard or two of wire through every other agraffe hole. I expect
that will make some folks nervous. Call it a hunch. Even before I switched
to the cleaner Mapes IG, and was using "blackfinger" wire, I was never able
to determine that there was any mechanical or tonal problem with this
method. In other words, I can't see that any damage is done to the agraffe
termination by dragging that much wire through it, so that's my preference.

For what it's worth.

Ron N