air compressors

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:02:36 -0700

I think the answer to this question depends on what your needs are.
 There are many compact units available but they have limited use due to
their power and capacity.  On the other side are exceptionally large
units which have a huge capacity but often require their own special
power supply.  What will be the primary use for this unit?  If you
mainly intend to use it for spraying then a smaller compressor will
likely be sufficient.  If you plan on using it with pneumatic tools such
as a die grinder for the Spurlock sound board router or a jitterbug
sander, you will need a much larger capacity.

Air compressors fall into three basic categories.  The first is the
rotary type which is common on smaller units, (although they are used on
some lower end medium sized units).  These have a relatively quick
recharge time but they are extremely noisy.  The next category is a
single stage piston compressor.  This type uses a positive displacement
cylinder/valve arrangement connected to a crankshaft.  They work
exceptionally well and are the "ol' standard" but may have a slightly
longer charge time depending on the size of the tank.  The third type is
a two stage piston compressor.  These compressors have a primary piston
which then feeds a secondary piston.  This not only speeds up the
charging process but also produces a higher tank pressure allowing the
fully charged tank to last longer before the unit has to restart.  Be
prepared to pay considerably more for a two stage compressor.  Larger
piston compressors, (60 gallon on up), are available in the traditional
horizontal tank arrangement or the more space saving tall vertical tank.

We are presently in the process of starting a rebuilding shop, our
building is currently under construction.  We will be using our
compressor for a variety of uses ranging from spraying to pneumatic
tools to blowing dust and dirt out of actions.  For these purposes as
well as any other future needs we are opting to purchase a larger 220
volt vertical compressor.  This unit will be located in a shed outside
the building in order to eliminate noise altogether and will be plumbed
throughout the shop with multiple access valves and regulators.

Good luck,

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV