pull up to pitch or leave it there?

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:54:46 -0400

What I don't like is having strings break when I am pitch raising a
piano.  There is a definite "feel" to a piano that may break strings and
one that will not.  If the piano is 1/2 to a whole step flat and it is
old and I am insecure about string integrity I will tune it flat and
leave a note to myself or the next tuner to leave it flat or bring it up
to pitch.

The difference in sound between 435 and 440 is non existent but a
difference in a half step is.  A quarter step is nearly inaudible.

I tuned a Yamaha 1/4 step flat for a Charles Ives performance.  Then I
had to bring it back up.  I was unable to hear any appreciate difference
in sound, and I was intently listening for a difference.  It just didn't
happen.

So, my only consideration is security of string, plate and piano and the
customer's wallet.  I do discuss the situation with the customer before
proceeding.  Also, if possible, I will leave the piano 1/2 or one whole
step flat, not in between.

		Newton