No capstans?

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:09:33 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of pianolover 88
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 6:25 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: No capstans?

Working on an old Schubert full up., circa 1895. Not sure how to adjust
for
losr motion after filing/reshaping hammeres. No capstan but raised
wodden
type buttons at end of keys with 2 screws holding them on. they don't
appear
to be adjustable, so i wonder the best/correct way to eliminate lost
motion.<SNIP>

Terry,
This sounds like a rocker capstan and they are adjustable. Loosen the
rear screw and tighten the front or the reverse if necessary. When you
are satisfied make sure both screws are snug, but do not over tighten.
Also the screw heads can be very soft so use care in your choice of
screwdriver. I sometimes will use a small offset Yankee ratchet screw
driver. I believe this tool is in the Schaff catalog.
Not much fun I'm afraid.
	Tom Driscoll