Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 00:17:33 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 10, 2002 8:28 AM
Subject: Re: Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

ricm inquired....
"How was your tuning tested"?

> Hi Ric M
>
> They do all their testing by ear. 3 techs review the tuning
> and demonstrate problems with the tuning using standard
> aural tests and the examinee has the chance to defend his
> tuning.
> Also as in the PTG tuning exam this is as much an
> instructional session as it is anything else.
> RicB

Yeah, that scrutiny has to be endured (is there a better word?) as
in, 'how do you learn unless your mistakes are pointed out'?  And
its not mistakes really, but "areas for improvement".  Because if
you are good, how can you get better unless there is an
opportunity to improve?
   Which is why I like listening to "the master" do a tuning.  On
a world class piano of course.  But how often does that
opportunity come up?  In the old days you went to the master's
shop or a factory.   Today you can still do that or go to a
Convention, or try to "beat the machine".
    It is said, "when the student is ready, a teacher will
appear."   For as long as I am trying to get better, hopefully a
teacher is just around the corner.   Actually I think the teacher
appears faster if the student is seeking.
    Hopefully, in this spirit, your examiners could offer to
demonstrate a tuning (on the same piano) that will exceed their
evaluation of yours.
    So RicB,  It sounds like you are pretty damn close.  I would
learn a lot seeing them actually improve it.

---ricm