voicing new hammers

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 01:14:01 -0500

>It may mean that the
> raw hammer was producing a better sound than what was  heard
before and had
> they trusted your judgement a bit farther they would have had
something
> perhaps even more thrilling.

I don't believe in voicing new hammers for the sake of voicing.

Yet it can be demonstrated that new hammers on a new piano respond
greatly to voicing. (deep needling)  for example as seen in the
all day Kawai class at the National convention.

But not always so for new hammers on an old piano.

Of course  you played the piano before.   Now play the piano with
the new raw hammers.  Then make your decision.  The method of
replacing alternate hammers should really show the differences. If
the new hammers sound much better what are you voicing for?   If
you think you can get a better sound by voicing those new hammers
are you expecting pay for your time?   So if you do not get a
better sound do you still ask to get paid?   Or if only a slightly
better sound only slightly more money?

>From the voicing lessons I received in training and attending
voicing classes at national conventions, (OK only two) the voicing
of new hammers is still a subjective matter based on what sound
the technician deems best for the instrument.  Some hammers "out
of the box" sounded great and then after much needling still
sounded great.  The "lesson" (to me at least) was why voice?  On
the other hand for another  piano, some sounded good but sounded
better after voicing.   The lesson there, "glad to know I can get
a better sound from a new hammer by stabbing needles into it".
Yes certain brands have a tendency to need "pre voicing"   Other
brands and be expected to sound great right out of the box.  Which
brands these are will be endorsed by "leading" technicians on this
list.

    If the hammer sounds as good as you expect or better why
voice?  In the hopes of sound better?  (such hubris) You may want
it to sound better but you might find out all the needling in the
world only made it slightly better, or worse depending on two
different ears.   I say leave it and evaluate the voicing after 6
months.   (actually after so many hours of playing in a six month
time. )

---ricm