Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 14:05:29 -0700

>David... just so I have this clear.... are you saying that
>all the fourths over the whole range of the piano should
>have a nearly identical beat rate ?, if not could you
>explain this a in a bit more detail for me ?

Exactly correct......the challenge is hearing them in the extreme ends of
the instrument.

"if the fourths be perfect, Heaven opens up......)

NOT perfect in the sense of beatles, but in the sense of slow, lazy,
sensuous rolling.....

With this method, octaves are precisely stretched; all the tests you can
think to apply are met; the piano sings.

Good luck.  Is it beautiful in Norway now?

David Andersen
Malibu, CA