steaming dampers - damper massage

Matt Wynne ptuner@optonline.net
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 19:43:01 -0400

I've had good results with metal files.  I use a chainsaw file (round,
1/8"-3/16" dia) for monochords and bi-chords, and a flat file for the
flats.  For flats that have dried gook on them from rusted strings, dried
liquid, etc. I have used a small triangle file (maybe 3/16" per side) right
on the string grooves.  I can file them with the dampers in the piano.

If the dampers are too far gone, doing this will yield moderate results but
they should probably just be replaced.

-Matt