Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 18:18:03 -0700

Ah, David, ah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,   So, your fourths don't progress in beat =
rates.=20

    Do you give all your intervals equal weight? Do your thirds, tenths, =
17ths, etc. increase in speed as you go up. I'm really sorry, and I'm =
NOT questioning your methods, but, if your thirds speed up, shouldn't =
your fourths? =20

    I mean, I have other tuners who stretch like heck, WAY more than I =
like, and my fourths increase in speed as I go up the treble. Besides, =
the only music based on fourths was by Scriabin, and who in their right =
minds listens to his music except in passing.  =20

    FLAME SUIT ON AND REALLY EXPECTING IT FOR THAT LAST COMMENT!!!!!!
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Andersen=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Monday, August 12, 2002 2:05 PM
  Subject: Re: Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

  >David... just so I have this clear.... are you saying that
  >all the fourths over the whole range of the piano should
  >have a nearly identical beat rate ?, if not could you
  >explain this a in a bit more detail for me ?

  Exactly correct......the challenge is hearing them in the extreme ends =
of=20
  the instrument.

  "if the fourths be perfect, Heaven opens up......)

  NOT perfect in the sense of beatles, but in the sense of slow, lazy,=20
  sensuous rolling.....

  With this method, octaves are precisely stretched; all the tests you =
can=20
  think to apply are met; the piano sings.

  Good luck.  Is it beautiful in Norway now?

  David Andersen=20
  Malibu, CA