Cleaning keys again

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:41:01 -0700

Lacquering the sides of the keys with clear lacquer seems a pretty radical
solution that I would not try or recommend.  Putting white or black lacquer
on the sides key sticks would push me over the edge if it were my piano.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "gordon stelter" <lclgcnp@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 13, 2002 11:20 AM
Subject: Re: Cleaning keys again

I use a green "Scotch-Brite" pad and denatured
alcohol, wearing gloves and a carbon filter mask.
Then, if the keys still stink, I put a cheap set of
bushing cauls in the bushing slots, mask off the
ivories ( 3/4" easy to remove blue tape works great)
and lacquer them, with either clear or white and black
lacquer. If the piano will be in an institutional
setting where poorly raised people will not wash their
hands before playing ( should be illegal!) I will
actually spray the keystick with white epoxy gloss,
which leaves a nice, smooth finish on the sides, to
easily wipe clean later ( and fully reveal their
sins!)
     Thump