Voicing

Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:56:09 -0700

The analogy about the engine had to do with being thorough in a task.  I =
thought it was appropriate.  Nobody ever said anything about not giving =
the customer what they wanted.  The discussion had to do with voicing =
procedures.  For example, I am preparing a set of Renner hammers for a =
Bechstein.  Even if I were unaware of whether the customer wanted the =
piano bright or mellow, it would not change my preparation of the =
foundation of the hammer.  I needle the shoulder to get resilience into =
the hammer.  If she wants it mellow I will attend to that by needling =
nearer the crown and/or shallow needling on the crown.  If she wants it =
bright I might sharpen the attack by filing the hammer slightly or =
ironing the felt.  Similarly, I am preparing a set of Steinway hammers =
for another customer.  I don't actually know how they will like it, =
bright or mellow.  But I will lacquer the hammer anyway because it needs =
to be firmed up underneath to give some firmness and clarity to the =
tone.  If they want it bright I will but a drop or two of solution on =
the strike point to sharpen the attack, if they want it mellow, I won't. =

The point is that certain hammers require certain basic preparations.  =
Good hammers can be brought either way from there.  I am not so arrogant =
as to impose on a customer that it's my way or the highway.  But I am =
also confident enough to know that there are basic procedures that =
should be done with any given hammer to ensure that whichever way you =
end up going, bright or mellow, the hammer will perform properly. =20

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20