R: Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Luigi Lamacchia luigi.lamacchia@libero.it
Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:44:35 +0200

Just a thought:
Whenever a string vibrates, it exchanges energy with other parts of the
piano. During this "mutual" exchanges, the phase may very, and that's what
the phase display is showing. The variation may be upward, meaning that
impedance is getting higher, or viceversa downward.

Maybe we should consider not only the coupling between the strings of the
same unison, but also the coupling with all the other notes, even if with
the damper down. They are all "damped tuned oscillators", ready to eat (and
maybe rebounce) some energy from our playing note. To get a more "corporeal"
idea of what I mean, just put your hand on the bass dampers while you play a
note in the middle or treble, possibly on a good piano.... and you will feel
that it's a MUCH MORE COMPLICATED question than just rising a little bit one
string. This is something which is not under our control, besides the small
correction we can do on unison. The only way we can change somehing, in his
sense, is by stretch. I mean, if octaves, or maybe 12th, are more consonant,
it will be easier for energy to go from our played note to the the other
strings. If they are somehow further, the transfer will be slower, so the
decay.
Sorry I'm not very clear, but I'm not a phisician, nor I speak English.
Greetings.

Luigi Lamacchia
Bari - Italy