Stretch Vs.Temperament, (was Beat Rates)

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:01:16 -0700

>> What is the full definition of ET?
>
>That would be one which takes into consideration all
>intervals...
> as opposed to say just a nice even progression
>of M3rds.
Please be specific and list the intervals you refer to.

> Ideally I suppose you could say that a Perfect
>perfect ET would be on that could only be accomplished on a
>piano with perfectly even inharmonicities.... or what ?
I guess it depends on how you perceive or define perfection.
A vast majority of the time, my temperaments pass every test I've been
exposed to:
-contiguous thirds
-slowly rolling very simlarly beating sharped  fourths
-VERY slowly rolling, sometimes almost but never quite perfect flatted
fifths
-progressively faster thirds and sixths w/ complete evenness of beat rate
acceleration
-matching thirds and sixths (i.e., F-D beats the same as G-B, F#-D# beats
the same as G#-C,
     and so on)
-progressively faster minor thirds(hardly ever use this)

>> >it is not in my experience that the variations / errors in
>> >temperament represent the most significant differences in
>> >the tuning styles of accomplished tuners.
>>
>> Why would an accomplished aural tuner settle for an inconsistency large
>> enough to be called an error in his/her temperament?
>
>Outside of the fact that everyone does all the time to some
>degree or another...whether they know it or not, admit it or
>not.... grin... I cant think of any particularilly good
>reason.
I think most of us realize we continually fall short of perfection in
tuning.  The game, and the passion, for me, is to get closer and closer
on a consistent basis.  To blow myself away with the evenness  and beauty
and singing nature of my own tunings.  Following the fourths has allowed
me to take a huge step toward getting closer; it allows me to be
incredibly precise and incredibly musical.  It has shown me the beauty of
patience---of waiting 'till all the garbage clears away and you can hear
the true beat.
 I listen to the piano as a musician who's also a recording engineer or
producer would:  the whole tone, its resonance, its musical, harmonious,
"right" relationship to the other notes.  Following the fourths allows me
to do this even better, and serve my clients in a way that inspires them.

This is fun......Thanks, RicB