Damp Chaser Question

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 21:06:26 -0400

Greetings listees,
         I have a customer who is going to build a piano closet off of
their stage. I'd like to ask the opinion of the lists as to how to outfit a
humidity control system in this closet. My thought was to daisy chain some
systems together or perhaps two or more entire separate systems to keep the
piano controlled ( I know, I know, control is an illusion) while it is in
storage. Since this is a performance instrument I recommended controlling
the box rather than the piano since some part of the Damp-Chaser system
will inevitably be visible if mounted on the piano itself. My customer writes;

The Apartment Complex for our Asian Musical Tenant will be:
4'-0'' High
6'-0'' Wide
11'-0'' Long which equals 264 Cubic Feet inside,
(less a little bit for corner tangent framing)
Hope this helps. It sounds like box, rather than piano mounting is
better.
The big question for me is ventilation. Electrical heater bars that run
24/7 inside a wooden box sounds like a hazard waiting to occur.

Can someone more experienced than I (even Roger if you're reading these
things) suggest a system of components that will adequately cover the need?
The piano is in Northern Ohio and is normally subject to RH swings of
roughly 15% to 85% or more.

I'd also like to ask those who have done this what one can expect when
pulling the piano out of the closet for a performance. Does it goes
unstable right away or what?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Greg Newell
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net