Synchrotone Bass Strings

John W. Peterson piano49@bellsouth.net
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:27:47 -0400

Hi Paul.

I have a book called " Piano Tone Building, Proceedings of the Piano =
Technicians Conference, Chicago 1916, 1917, 1918 New York 1919", by the =
"Acoustic Department, American Steel and Wire Co."
Vols. 1 and 2. (a single book).

Phew, that was a big title. I don't know if the book is still available; =
I obtained my copy in 1983.

On pages 42 through 49 inclusive, is a section titled "Peculiarities of =
Wound Strings, December 21, 1916".

This section records the conversations between the wire maker, =
manufacturers and technicians. One of the topics covered is iron-wound =
(steel-wound) strings vs. the "new" copper-wound and =
copper-plated-winding strings. fwiw: William Braid White is one of the =
participants.

If you like history, this is an amazing text.  I've always liked the =
sound of iron-wound strings.
=20
Have a good day.
jp