May the 4ths be with you

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 20 Aug 2002 00:25:04 -0700

>. I haven't concentrated on hearing fourths
>carefully in the bass, however, especially in
>the low bass.

Ooooh, it's a whole new skillset, my dear; it takes patience and
fearlessness; on some notes the true beating fourth only emerges after
many seconds; in other pianos, there are "false" beats that are slowly
rolling and can fool you; in other pianos, there's so many "garbage"
tones that you need to almost get into a Zen, or kind of stupid place,
where you're kind of asking the fourths to become clear.
I can hear the gnashing of propellerhead teeth as I write this, and I'm
SURE there's a technical explanation for the above.  I just don't know
what it is.  And don't really care.  Call me a neo-Luddite.
Call me an airy-fairy relic from the Jurassic period.  Just make sure and
call me when you serve dinner.

<g>

Best.......
David Andersen