Unison Flatter than each Individual string?

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 00:45:19 -0700

David,
     Although I can see the point you make as to the ease of setting the A(4) by reading the machine, setting it by using "aural" methods is by no means masochistic nor in any degree as difficult as you suggest, nor should it be any basis for egotism as it is so utterly simple to do extremely well.    This area of  the tuning test is frequently scored at 100 percent as the examinees often easily produce a value for the A within the tolerance and have no points subtracted.  Generally, people that cannot do this readily  use the wrong reference tone, rely on only one reference tone, or, amazingly,  use no reference tone at all.
     As A(4) is not is not a harmonic of  F(3); that is the tenth below, then using a tenth to derive a reference tone is not the best or even acceptable practice and would indeed be masochistic.  The correct reference tone in which  an F is employed requires the use of a seventeenth below at F(2) which does have its fifth harmonic at A(4).  Similarly one could use D(2); D(3) or even D(1) or F(1), although these last two  would be a little far out,  any of the A's below A(4) and, a particularly good one,  the interval produced by two octaves and a minor seventh that is a 21st, by using B(1) which produces a loud obvious beat easily contrasted with the fork or the A(4).   I am sure I have not listed all of the possiblities here.  Using some of these reference tones and understanding which is wide and which are narrow makes it a simple, rapid matter to lay in the A(4) very accurately with respect to the fork and I see little archaic about it.
     There are many fine uses for an ETD of which I own a SAT II but the task of pitch transfer is not one, in my opinion, in which a great advantage can be obtained simply by substituting a machine in the place of the very easy, readily learned and executed "aural" technique.
Regards, Robin Hufford