4 pedals

Tom Dickson td_tuner@hotmail.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 13:30:17 +0000

Hi, All!

   I ran into something new to me, the other day.  It was a 1905 Bell
upright with 4 pedals.

   The third pedal brings down a practice mute.  But, it's strips of
leather, not the usual long piece of felt.  The fourth pedal is set up so
that a stick attached to the action, just below the hammers, slides across
and towards the hammer shanks.  There are thick strips of felt on the face
of this which the hammer shanks could hit.  I'm assuming that when this
stick is properly regulated, someone could practise their fingering without
actually having the piano make any sound.

   Do you think that's right?

   Interesting instrument!

Sincerely,
Tom Dickson,