Bridge notching

Ron Overs ron@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:32:54 +1000

Hi Phil, Newton and all,

>  > Rattling around in my brain is the factoid (or perhaps it's an >
>imaginoid) that at least one manufacturer (Boesendorfer is the
>name > that comes to mind) deliberately notch their bridges so that
>the edge > of the notch does not bisect the bridge pin hole (I
>believe they cut > the notches deep, but even that is hazy in my
>memory).
>
>>  Phil F
>
>It is a misunderstoodoid.
>
>Beech (local hardwood) is softer than maple (our choice) so they k-notch
>their bridges to bisect the pin.  As the string sinks into the wood the
>termination then becomes equal on the vertical and horizontal plain.

What's a K-notch Newton? Are you referring to the notch with a small
vertical drop immediately the notch leaves the bridge top, such as
the early Bl=FCthners used. Fazioli started to use this technique
around 1994. Is he still using it?

B=F6sendorfer use European maple for their bridges (known as Sycamore
in the UK - Acer pseudoplatanus). Sycamore has an ADD of around 0.6
gr/cc, while European Beech (Fagus sylvatica)  has around 0.7 gr/cc ,
Rock maple (Acer saccharum) around 0.73 and Australian Antarctic
Beech (Nothofagus Morrei) around 0.77gr/cc. I have seen enough bridge
pins 'adrift' in Sycamore bridge caps to believe that it is a little
light for such service. I'm recapping a couple of sections on a 20
year B=F6s 6'8" at present.

Regards,
Ron O.
--