Rinky-Tink Piano (was thumb tacks in hammers)

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 10:54:47 -0500

List.  There was an entertainer here in the Elkhart, Indiana area,
back in the last 70's and early 80's, by the name of Gary Rink, who
played in a lounge, "The Dock", I believe, at Diamond Lake.
He had modified the hammers, in the console, with thumb tacks and
played and sang.  He would pack the place 5 or 6 nights a week.  Made
an LP, and then moved to Florida and continued playing in clubs.  I
believe he was killed in an auto accident.
One hell-of-an entertainer and the people loved him.  He had a very
large brandy glass sitting on the lid of the piano and the customers
would stuff it full of dollars several times a night.  You couldn't
stump him with a request, he knew every song, the verse and the
chorus, melody and lyrics, and he'd modulate from one key to another
and then tie in two or three songs into a medley.
He reminds me today of my friend and college roommate, Dick Day of
Marshall, Michigan, a fellow piano technician, musician, piano player
and singer, that entertains in that area.  Except Dick uses an
electronic paino and syth with out the thumb tacks.
Enough reminiscing for today, have a great day and remember to always
hire live entertainers and down with the DJ's.  Regards, Gordon
Holley, Goshen, Indiana