Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:56:49 -0400

You didn't answer my question!  :-)   Yes, my norm is to do a two pass pitch raise for anything more than 60 or 70 cents flat (although on this Winter, I did in fact pitch raise it in one pass - don't tell anyone!). But that was not the question. Let's say we have a piano that is 30 cents flat. The tune unisons as you go approach would suggest that something like 20% overpull in bass, 25% in tenor, and 33% overpull in treble areas is appropriate to get you to target pitch. If you strip mute the piano for your pitch raise and only tune the center strings, then pull out the mute felt and tune unisons, how might that affect your selected overpull percentages? Thanks.

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin E. Ramsey" <ramsey@extremezone.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Terry, that's a good question. Most of the time when I see something like your high performance Winter that's that flat, I figure it would be safer to do two pitch raises. I feel better spreading that much tension out over the whole instrument rather than loading up one section tuning from bass to treble. I always strip mute no matter what I'm doing, it just seems easier to pull it out than to move mutes constantly.
    If you were to try pitch raising one of these things that much and hit it right on the money in one pass, I don't think you'd have much luck because the different sections of the piano are going to react differently depending on the thickness of the plate and stiffness of the soundboard, and other intangibles. You could certainly get it pretty close though.
    I would strip it off and do two really quick pitch raises, the first just slightly higher than in tune, pull in the unisons, and then do an equally quick regular pitch raise, then fine tune. I don't like replacing strings in spinets too much myself. I remember trying to do it the way you mentioned a few times when I was starting out, carefully recalculating the single wire flatness for a 33% overpull as I went up. I pulled in the unisons, and it was close enough to get there in a second pass, but it was more work than it was worth, I thought.