Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:45:31 -0500

Yabut....

Dr. Sanderson, inventor of the SAT, recommends 20% on wound strings, 33% =
for the first six plain-wire unisons, then 25% to the top.=20

Since others have success with slightly different percentages, it seems =
(and is interesting) that the exact percentage or location in the piano =
is not all that critical a factor ...=20

Alan Barnard
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 10:35 PM
  Subject: Re: Pitch Raises ... Multiple Passes?

  Well, glad I caught this posting. To answer your question; 20% is =
perfect in the bass for me, because I strip mute the bass, tune all the =
single notes, and then pull out the strip and tune unisons. However, =
when I get to the plain wire strings, I'm pitch raising unisons as I go =
up. Now, if a piano has all the notes on one side of the note you're =
tuning already pulled up to pitch, then a 25% overpull is the =
appropriate amount for the entire piano. (With the SAT, the trick is =
knowing where to sample them). The only time 33% overpull is used is =
when you're pitch raising the single strings without pulling in the =
unisons as you go. And even then, the way to do it is to tune the =
temperament at a 33% overpull, and as you go up stretch the octaves =
until they have a beat in them, leveling off at you get to the top. Two =
whole different techniques, two whole different overpull percentages. =
Perhaps I'm wrong, or someone will argue that I'm wrong, and that's =
fine. I've just done it that way, and it worked out almost perfectly. I =
prefer using a SAT, because that guarantees me that I'll be within two =
cents without having to work hard at all.=20
      But, 33% percent is necessary if you do it the "old" way, the way =
people did it before ETDs. I don't think it would ever be right if you =
were using an ETD and pulling in unisons as you go.=20

      Hope that clears it up.=20
    ----- Original Message -----=20