silicone lube

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 18:34:51 -0500

>Have been trying to locate VM-P Naphta for mixing of
>silicone purchased from Wurlitzer. Able to find some
>cleaning type naphta, but not above type. Wondering what
>the difference, and would the other type be acceptable.
>I believe the mix was 8 to 1. ???????????/
>
>Carl / Winnipeg

That's Varnish Makers' and Painters' Naphtha. Should be available in paint
and hardware stores.  Naphtha can have petroleum, coal tar, benzine, or who
knows what generically, but VM&P is (in theory) at least of presumably
known and specified composition and nominally interchangeable from
different sources. It evaporates out gracefully without leaving any
unsavory unexpected gunk of it's own to complicate your life. A silicone
can I still have in the shop (from Wurlitzer many moons ago) says 1/2 pint
to 1/2 gallon. That's 8:1. Good stuff.

Ron N