ET temperament beat ratios

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 14:18:10 -0900 (PDT)

Hi to all:

In regard to the recent emails of RicM and Mr. Hufford, none of the
published beats rates are exact. It all depends upon the specific
inharmonicity of the particular piano and the area which is under
discussion. I would surely not argue about ratios to the 4 decimal
place. If we were talking about organ tuning, then, yes we could argue
about the decimals, but with pianos, forget it. They vary too much
from note to note as to their inharmonicity content.

In regard to hearing the color of HTs, I have given several
classes during the past 10 years, in which I had a piano tuned in a
very mild HT (Cole-4 or Cole-11) and another piano tuned in ET. I
would play the Chopin "Raindrop Prelude" in Db on the HT piano
first, and then play it in ET. Most everyone could tell that
on the ET piano it sounded rather bland. It lost its mysterious
or macabre quality. On some occasions where I had only one piano
available, I would tune it in HT and then play the Chopin number
in Db and then transpose it to C. In this case, there was even
more difference that could be heard by almost everyone.

Jim Coleman, Sr.