Tuning Pin Length?

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:15:07 -0700

Rich,
I've always use a "rule of thumb", that if the pinblock is 1 1/4", I use 2
1/4" tuning pins. It leaves the tuning pins just shy of the bottom of the
pin block, (that is if the web is not excessively thick). As I do not drill
all the way through my pinblocks, but simply "dimple" them, like we do for
upright hammers. This dimple is to relieve the hydrolic pressure of the Pin
Driving fluid.
As I firmly believe that a completely sealed pinblock will last longer, this
is how I do it. (99% of the pinblocks I've had to replace were drilled all
the way through.)
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)