Foundry Castings

Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:31:22 +0200

David Ilvedson wrote:

> I guess I've got to wonder would it make a bit of difference in the outcome of the piano?  Would a steel, ceramic whatever plate be worth it?
>
> David I.

I guess that's what many of us are wondering.  No doubt other materials can be made to work. Though so far no one has managed it and at the same
time produced a fine instrument that could survive the market. We've had such names as Rippen and .... what WAS that Irish thing.... grin.  I am
not sure how good company they are to join in this regard.

Be that as it may, anytime someone makes a serious attempt to put something new into this market they simply have to understand they have to
convince the market big time, or it wont fly.  Actions, assembly procedures, ply sound boards, etc. etc.... have come and gone some actually
pretty good... but gone any ways. Look how hard a time Yamaha had making the V-plate fly. They may have just been the only company capable of
pulling that one off, in spite of the production advantages.

The basic characteristics for gray iron used in piano plates are pretty well documented and well known. Have been for a long time and I see no
reason to bring these into question. Unless that is someone has something substantial to put on the board.

That being said if some other material can indeed be used that is cost effective, AND has good acoustical properties for the usage, AND has the
necessary strength characteristics, AND is easy to work with, AND lightweight, AND not a problem environmentally, AND a few other things
probably... AND to the degree that the industry is overwhelmingly convinced.... then great !

Until then I think gray iron will continue to be used, not because of tradition or some long lost reasons that nobody remembers anymore.... but
because its the best stuff around for the job... until somebody actually proves something else is.

My Two bits

RicB

--
Richard Brekne