Hygrometer

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:35:36 -0500

>Hey Del or Ron, is +3% mc good enough when drying a board down to produce
>"consistent" results?
>
>Terry Farrell

I'm using the little Whatman pen type hygrometer/thermometer I carry when
I'm tuning. I bought it from Markson for about $50 maybe six or seven years
ago. It claims accuracy of +-2% down to, I think, around 10%. I have no
idea if it, or any other unit, actually delivers what it claims. The +-3%
is probably realistically accurate enough for soundboard work, given that
you don't know exactly what any given panel is going to give you from any
given MC anyway, so ultimately, it's a crapshoot all around. Just design
the rib set with crowned ribs of adequate dimension and number to support
the bulk of the string bearing load without requiring much from the panel,
and it becomes less critical than if you were building a genuine state of
the art compression crowned board. For the most part, the consistency of
your results will come from your rib design anyway, not from minor
differences in your panel MC.

Ron N