Tuning Pin Length?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:52:42 -0400

> > As I do not drill
> > all the way through my pinblocks, but simply "dimple" them, like we do for
> > upright hammers. This dimple is to relieve the hydrolic pressure of the Pin
> > Driving fluid.

> One more question, how do you completely seal the pinblock?  Do you fill and seal the dimple openings after you drive the pins?

What on earth is a pinblock "dimple"??????? I've seen some nice dimples in cute girls and babies, but had not noticed dimples in pinblocks. I would appreciate being enlightened.

Regarding sealing the block, I have thought of putting a couple coats of coating epoxy on a fitted, but not yet drilled pinblock, and then not drill completely through the block to slow moisture transmission in and out of the block. Obviously it would not have much effect in a consistent environment, but perhaps it would be of benefit in an environment where there are significant and frequent humidity fluctuations.

Terry Farrell