Non-smelly Hammer Juice

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:06:42 -0600

Hi Alan,
              Some hammer suppliers do a certain amount of pre voicing. In
the case of Steinway, some filing, and some laquer.   Abels are pre filed
etc.  Baldwin just supplies raw hammers.  They usually need some pre
needling along the depression of the cup line, to reduce the cup, and about
1/16" of felt removed to cut into some firm felt.  This is best done on the
bench before the hammers are hung.   I usually clamp all the tails, and
gang file them.   Very rarely have I had to juice Baldwin vertical hammers,
other than the top octave.
String/hammer fitting is also very important for a good singing tone.

Regards Roger