pressure bar

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 06:05:35 -0600

Jack,

>I am the wrong person to answer this, since I've never removed a pressure
>bar.  But I've wondered how much difference the string angles really make,
>within reasonable parameters.  If I were in your shoes and received no
>helpful replies, I would set the pressure bar so the string angles look
>about the same as the zillions of other pianos I've tuned (but not as
>sharp angles as I find in a few), and I suspect everthing would be
>fine.  To the experienced -- am I right or wrong?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde
>
>Jack Houweling wrote:
>>  Hello   I am restringing a Willis upright. I took a gauge of the
>> pressure bar before removing the old strings. I have now lost the gauge.
>> How do you set the height of the pressure
>> bar.                                 Thanks  Jack

Ditto Clyde, but also the downbearing angle should be sufficient to stop
any leakage which might cause "bzzzt", but not so much as to make tuning
difficult.  I think that's about 15°, but I'm sure that more knowledgable
people will chime in with a comfortable range of angles.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076(Dept.office)

-I don't care who you are; those reindeer are ruining my roof.