pressure bar

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 07:45:29 -0600

>  Hello
>    I am restringing a Willis upright. I took a gauge of the pressure bar
> before removing the old strings. I have now lost the gauge. How do you
> set the height of the pressure bar.
>                                  Thanks  Jack

Hi Jack,
Your first clue will be the feel of the screws as they go back in. They'll
snug up dramatically when they get to the depth they were originally. The
strings should end up approximately parallel to the plate between pressure
bar and tuning pins. Enough bearing angle to hold spacing and supply some
frictional drag for tuning, without clamping the strings against the plate.

Ron N