Bridgetop Extravaganza Revisited

Stephen Bellieu sbellieu@mindspring.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:37:51 -0800

Dale Erwin wrote:
Could you share how it is you're measuring 1.5 degrees of bearing on the =
bass and with what. If the rear string length was 8 inches( possible on =
a D) 8 Times .026=3D.208 or (1.5 degrees) of distance bearing . =
Considering this bass bridge has no cantilever  I don't mind seeing this =
at the top end of the bridge but I'd like to see .05 degrres in the mono =
section........................

Dale,  All measurements referred to so far were from the strung piano.  =
Individual strings were removed and thread/gap measurements were taken.  =
I was conservative in the bass and subtracted for the twisted part of =
the string riding on the hump.  Note # 3 showed 1.3 deg, note # 10 =
showed 1.7 deg, and note # 19 showed 1.3 deg.  Inverse tangent of =
(gap/rear length).
Did you mean to write .5 deg in stead of .05 ?   Just for giggles I =
checked one of the previously measured tenor bridge strings in the =
middle of the overstrung section after the bass strings were off.  (The =
following day)  It came up from .06 deg to .5 deg.

Greg Newell wrote:
I re-read your original post below and I still come to the same =
conclusion. It sounds as though you're somewhat accomplished in =
rebuilding so I'm not sure I understand your hesitation in recapping. If =
the original pins are loose and you don't intend to replace with =
oversize but you are going through the trouble of pulling the plate and =
then subsequent re-stringing then .... why not? =

If I could do something with epoxy in a few hours and save all that =
expense. It will get new pins.  I am not an accomplished rebuilder or =
expert woodworker.  I have done dozens of restringings and several board =
shimming internal restorations with doweled in new blocks.  I haven't =
done any in shop belly work for almost a year.  Am doing mostly actions =
now.  At one time I was hot to try bridge capping but I don't think this =
is the right time for me.  The piano will go to another shop if that is =
the decision.  It has been a lot of dues paid to get to where I am right =
now.  It has kind of been a relief that the constant acquisition of =
tools has slowed and I have been busy doing things I am good at.  I'm =
reluctant to take on the big learning curve again.  It is tempting =
though.  I am handy with chisels and planes and japanese saws and reach =
for them first before power tools.  I used to cut down key # 88 with a =
bandsaw, now I pare it with a chisel just for the pleasure of it.

Ron Nossaman wrote:
But it's not being condemned, it's being restrung even though it sounded =
ok=20
before? Is the damaged cap the reason for the restringing? And if so, =
why=20
the reluctance to replace it? If not, why is it being restrung?

The piano is long overdue for restringing.  It has never been restrung.  =
It is starting to shed treble strings.  Capo needs to be reshaped.  No =
one noticed the cap.  It does not sound good in the treble.  I thought I =
was catching a whiff of that old " If it doesn't have X amount of crown =
it isn't worth working on".  That was why I said I was not going to =
condemn the piano.  I was trying to find out if any one had done the =
kind of bridge top resurfacing that I am imagining.   I have an =
obligation to try to repair economically before replacement. =20

>I'm anticipating tight new bridge pins are going to contribute to tonal =

>improvement up higher.

Why, considering the condition of the cap and resulting bearing =
measurements?

The pins come out easily.  I thought the bearing was ok in that part of =
the piano.  (I'm not an expert,  I'm soliciting an opinion from you =
rebuilder types)=20

Everybody,
     One thing I have learned already is to inspect every piano in the =
field if possible.  I hate these kind of surprises.  Forgive my lack of =
protocol knowledge on this kind of message board if I'm creating strange =
posts.  I guess we have to be careful not to take each other out of =
context with all this cutting and pasting.
       I attempted to quantify the condition of the grooves now that the =
strings are off.  Either it doesn't look as bad as I thought or I'm =
getting used to it.  Maybe they are swelling up a bit.  Humidity is up.  =
I held a straight edge on the edge of the bridge and slid a needle under =
until it stopped.  It measured between .025" and .030" in tenor and low =
capo.  High capo was .020" to .025".  Actually that is about as bad as I =
imagined,  the strings were about 2/3 into the top.  I have no idea what =
"normal" wear is because I have never thought about this before.  =
Mitigating factor :  the wood at the edge that the ruler was on is a =
little bit puffy.
     Is this too far to sand/plane down?   Could the duplexes be ground =
down a bit if so?   This might be my last gasp here.  Does anyone know =
of anyone who has attempted to resurface a top?  I guess this is mostly =
for my own interest since I would only do it if it were a known =
procedure that worked.  Like epoxying pins is now a known procedure.  I =
seem to remember it used to be controversial.
     I just had another thought that might not offend those who thought =
any buildup of epoxy in the groove would fail.  What about swelling the =
top a little,  then planing,  then renotching,  then pins in w/ epoxy =
and saturating notches and top.  Any amount the grooves swelled up would =
then be saturated and not built up.  (Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique =
anyone?)

Cheers,  Steve Bellieu

  ----- Original Message -----=20