Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:14:43 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: December 22, 2002 6:34 PM
  Subject: Re: Soundboard Clamping for Downbearing

       Del writes

    The wood moisture has to be within bounds. We forget the importance =
of wood
    moisture content on the adhesive when we blithely talk about taking =
wood
    down to 4% for compression-crowning. Most adhesives work best on =
wood
    between approximately 7% and 9% MC. Below 6% the wood starts =
absorbing
    enough solvent -- usually water -- from the adhesive to start =
affecting the
    adhesive bond. At 4% things get really dicey.
    .

                Hi Del
  Are you referring to all glues under the aformentioned dry conditions. =
Out of curiosity what is your glue of choice for rib bond and board to =
rim joint in your rebellying systemology ? Am I understanding you to say =
that this heated press is what you are using? or not?
                                               Dale Erwin

1)    All water-solvent adhesives. And that is just about all =
woodworking adhesives.
2)    We use Titebond II or MPA II or some similar adhesive.
3)    Good grief no! That stuff is expensive. We glue up at room =
temperature like most everybody else. Heated presses are for factories. =
Super-heated presses are for factories that were designed to put =
together 60 to 65 pianos a day that are cranked up to produce 120 to 130 =
units per day.

Del