Hearing the difference-a related question

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 17:14:38 EST

In a message dated 23/12/02 5:04:02 PM, orchman@attbi.com writes:

<< How can a piano tuned in ET perform with a
professional orchestra that is ostensibly trying to perform in Just
Temperament? Or is this a non issue?

If this has been discussed before, please point me in the right
direction. Thank you for your time! >>

Steve it is definitely  "an issue" but one in which there are many 'correct'
answers!
No temperament, of any flavor, will match any "professional ochestra"..this
due in part to the differring (natural)pitch tolerances of the individual
instruments and in part to the tuning of those instruments...then add in the
pitch drift that happens during a performance and include the relative
stability of the piano's tuning (it drifts also) and you can well see where
the "issue" is one with plenty
of wiggle room for discussion. :-)
 This topic has been discussed many times and a search of the archives might
be benficial to you....................... but there are many others on the
list who are more able to get into specifics....this is just my view.
Jim Bryant (FL)