Hearing the difference-a related question

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 20:22:54 EST

Steve writes:

<<  but that brought another
>question to mind. How can a piano tuned in ET perform with a professional
>orchestra that is ostensibly trying to perform in Just Temperament? Or is
>this a non issue? >>

    Greetings,
     Orchestra's have a pretty flexible intonation, they really don't have a
temperament. Notes' pitches change with the keys.  Whatever they are playing,
it sure isn't ET.    Pianists are another matter, altogether.
     Perhaps an ET piano is closest to the midpoint of whatever tolerances
the other instruments maintain, but I don't think it is essential.  At times,
 a well-tempered piano has been regarded as more focussed in a concerto
performance.  The slight divergences from the theoretical ET in a WT are less
than most instruments' vibrato, so no large stretch is required of a string
player to play "in key" with an unequally tempered piano.  We had great
success using a Young for Beethoven's 3rd.  The pianist seemed to have an
easier time staying "on top" of the wall of sound behind her.
Regards,

 Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/