the difference- beyond temperment&orchestras

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:08:40 -0500 (EST)

Good comments about orchestra vs piano so far.

Here is another factor, beyond temperment.

  Imagine attempting to tune a unison where the
inharmonic readings of 3 stings are normal, but
a forth unison sting to be tuned has its partials
inharmicity read 0,0,-1,0,0,1,0,1.
  Such is the reading by tunelab of the partials
of my clarinet, an almost perfect harmonic series.
This is because Wind instrument vibrate a column of
air, without inertia comparable with stiff metal.

  This offers credibility why my clarinet teacher,
principle of our National Orchestra in Canada
describes
performing an arrangement of clarinet with any piano
in any condition as a "mismatch of instruments." He
finds
it a difficult blend of sound and would much rather
perform with stings, or other winds.

  The inharmicity of piano is exaggerated by the
thickness of the strings. The measurements I have
made on a harpsichord are very low, and I assume
violins would also be quite low.

  This differential of inharmicity, in my view,
contributes to every orchestras struggle with pianos.

                          Merry Christmas