Aural versus ETD tuning training

Fri, 27 Dec 2002 01:06:30 +0100

Hi Ed. Nice posting, tho I do have a few comments as usual :)

You see the thing is that there is so much distracting debate over
whether or not ETD tunings are "just as good as ear tunings", whether or
not one can learn to tune with them or not, and all the rest that their
real value and their real weaknesses never seem to be taken for what
they are. Seems to me there is too much fervour on both sides.

First let me say that tunings on the level we should be talking about in
this kind of discussion are all going to be beyond just acceptable. All
tunings done by masters of aural and / or ETD tuners are going to be
very very fine tunings indeed, and what differences there are are not
going to be noticed directly by more then a handfull of people. That
number may grow in time if people start conciously listening for the
differences. But even so such listening should (could) only be
appreciative in nature.

How many times have we all said that past a certain level in tuning
there is no longer questions of whats correct or incorrect, rather it is
a question of what choices we make and whether or not we can justify
these... how concious these choices are. The ETD is programmed to
produce a very clearly defined set of choices which govern the resulting
tuning. Perhaps the RCT is best at allowing a manipulation of these
parameters with its "equalizer" facility. But still it is bound to these
once choosen. That there are other viable priorities in the choices we
can make within the scope of what can be refered to as a fine ET tuning
seems quite clear to me. That some aural tuners employ some of these
seems also quite clear, as well as the potential for creating tuning
effects that ETD's are not capable of creating directly. The ETD simply
has one very particular "tuning style" as it were. There is nothing
inherently better or worse about this then any other well executed set
of tuning priorities. But it is what it is, and it isnt anything else.

We get so wrapped up in the defensive end of this debate that many seem
to have concluded that there is nothing more to be learned about what we
can do with tunings, that the ETD'd definition is truly the one and only
"correct" one.... to the degree that we have begun to equate a pianos
quality with its degree of conformance to what the ETD wants.

This is odd in the face of the realization that there is no true correct
or incorrect way of tuning the piano. There is only the degree to which
we successfully execute our tuning objectives.

The Tuneoffs were meaningless in almost every sense as they revealed at
their very best the limitations of our tuning awareness's at the time.
They say nothing about what is possible to discern, only what was
discernable at the present level of tuning awareness. Instead of being
the stimulus to find out more about what we can accomplish with tunings,
these have only served as some justification for using ETD's.

Arguments like the "obscurity of our work" or that "nobody can tell the
difference anyways" dont hold any water at all in my book. These are
excuses at best and just plain wrong at worst. I find for example that
just about every pianist reacts to the difference between a standard ETD
ET and a Perfect 12ths priority ET. The difference between the two is
slight when measured, yet the affects created when playing are quite
noticibly different.

Seems to me that we should get beyond the arguments about what ETD's are
good for (as their strengths and weaknesses should be really quite
obvious at this point) and start looking at how we can use them to take
us places "tuningwise" we have not gone before. To assume there are no
such places seems silly to my mind.

Cheers

RicB

--