New tuner, tuning a player piano

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 07:42:58 -0500

Steve,

My hint doesn't relate only to old player uprights but to *all* old
uprights.  If you need to remove the action for any reason, be sure that
it's got a good set of bridle straps.  Getting the action out is usually
no problem.  Getting it back in is sometimes problematic, if the lack of
bridle straps lets the jacks jam under the hammer butt felt.  This
doesn't result in an impossible situation, but it's serious enough that
if you do it once, you won't let it happen again.

I do a basic check on all pianos the first time I see them.  If more than
just a few bridle straps are torn or in bad condition, I recommend to the
client that the whole set be replaced early on, assuming the piano is
worth keeping for a few years yet.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA, USA