3 gorgeous 1890's Knabe uprights for sale, unrestored.

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 21:58:05 -0600

> >And I thoroughly disagree with the concept that pianos deteriorate because
> >of lack of service, and won't if they are adequately serviced. They will
> >deteriorate at the rate, and in the manner dictated by their materials,
> >design, construction, and yes, climate.
> >
> >But that's just my opinion.
> >
> >Ron N
>
>Hey, Ron----
>your oppositionality and mild crankiness can get tiring after a while.

Hey David,
That didn't sound very Zen. What happened to "every head a planet", and the
great cosmic tolerance?

>---pianos made in 1890 by quality manufacturers were generally made
>better with better material than the same piano today.

Maybe, or not, but so what? That's neither maintenance, nor lack thereof.

>---Define "deterioration." If a piano is not regularly serviced for a
>decade or so, and is used often, it will sound and feel bad; parts will
>wear funny; the hammers will be destroyed--- detoriated, in my opinion.

If a piano is regularly serviced for a decade or so, and is played often,
it will still wear - funny or otherwise. Service won't keep strings in a
heavily used piano from work hardening and breaking. It won't keep
soundboards from negative crowning. It won't keep hammers, knuckles, and
key bushings from wearing out. It won't keep bridge pins from getting loose
and producing false beats, or cracking. It won't keep bearing positive in
the killer octave. It won't keep pinblocks from delaminating, or verdigris
from seizing up the action centers.

>Play an adequately maintained German Steinway from the last 50 years with
>a good board; then talk to me about 1890's Knabe upright comparisons.
>Please.

You will note that I never did talk to you about 1890 Knabe upright
comparisons. To find out what I did say, read what I wrote, that you
included as a reference in your reply, and I included again so you could
check what you replied to against what I wrote in the first place to search
for any remote connection between the two - should the urge belatedly come
upon you.

>Grrrr.
>
>Venting over.  Happiest of holidays, Mr. Nossaman.
>
>David Andersen

Go fish, Mister Anderson.

Sincerely,

Ron N