Aural versus ETD tuning training

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 29 Dec 2002 01:45:50 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Nossaman <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Aural versus ETD tuning training

>>  How long does
> >that "perfect" tuning last anyway?  Couple hours?  Couple days?
> >
> >David I.
>
> I have - a couple of days. She called the evening of the
afternoon it was
> tuned, and I got her in as soon as I could. This has happened
with both
> aural, and ETD tuners.
>
> Ron N

Heheh, I know a studio upright in a choir room that NOBODY can
tune.   The question is, is the room environment wildly varying?
the last tuner a klutz? or some defect in the piano?.    Regarding
the "last tuner", I was the last tuner, who followed myself, who
followed a RCT tuning done as part of a seminar by a local
chapter.
    I would love to bring this piano to a "National" and have any
person tune it by whatever---machine or aural method.   Then
critique it the next day  by  any tuner and expect to hear,  "This
is what you call a professional tuning?"
    What is causing this would make  a great seminar. Warped
plate? pin block not set? loose struts? too much bearing? "warped
soundboard"?   or ??     ---rm