Aural versus ETD tuning training

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:21:02 +0100

Ric Moody and David I. ::

>   David I wrote:
>
> > > How long does
> > > that "perfect" tuning last anyway?  Couple hours?  Couple days?
> > >
> > > David I.

This is a justification for what ?.... I suppose the perfect tuning will
last long enough for a concert, a recording session, to give a customer
those few extra hours of refinement. Cost effective has to be in the
picture to be sure... but we want to be careful of finding reasons to
not do the best we can... in all circumstances.

Ric Moody Wrote

> Heheh, I know a studio upright in a choir room that NOBODY can
> tune.   The question is, is the room environment wildly varying?
> the last tuner a klutz? or some defect in the piano?.    Regarding
> the "last tuner", I was the last tuner, who followed myself, who
> followed a RCT tuning done as part of a seminar by a local
> chapter.
>     I would love to bring this piano to a "National" and have any
> person tune it by whatever---machine or aural method.   Then
> critique it the next day  by  any tuner and expect to hear,  "This
> is what you call a professional tuning?"
>     What is causing this would make  a great seminar. Warped
> plate? pin block not set? loose struts? too much bearing? "warped
> soundboard"?   or ??     ---rm

Neat idea... what kind of piano is this ? How old, and whats your
evaluation of its present condition ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.