Case work (any social workers out there?!)

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 20:33:59 -0500

Hi Noel -

The information you require is very detailed in nature, and would require
a 64-page dissertation to go into with any depth, but a couple answers to
your specific questions are straightforward.

First, I would glue any loose veneer before doing any stripping.  The
stripping process would contaminate the two surfaces to be glued beyond
hope of adhesion.

Surface scratches will mostly disappear when the old finish is stripped
off.  Very slight scatches that remain can either be lightly sanded
smooth or lightly steamed to swell the wood enough to mostly eliminate
them.

Gouges should be puttied (after stripping) with a color that matches the
background color tone of the wood, sanded flush after drying, then
grained with a graining pen or pencil.  The use of wood-tone markers,
dyes, and toners can also be helpful in disguising patches.  Depending on
the severity of the "chipped off wood", and its location, cutting in with
replacement veneer may be in order.

I suggest you go to your local library to get Bob Flexner's
"Understanding Wood Finishing", long considered one of the "bibles" on
the subject.  Jeff Jewitt also has several very good books on the
subject, as well.  Any good woodworking store should have these and other
books on the subject of wood finishing.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 15:58:29 -0500 "Noel Kaufmann" <tunernoel@bigzoo.net>